Welcome to A Wiki in the Desert
, a wiki for the online game A Tale in the Desert
This wiki exists to document the game and to provide a community scratchpad for the players. You can find guides on everything from growing flax to designing fireworks, an atlas of interesting places, and various personal pages created by the users. New players may want to read the section on immigration for a quick overview of how to get started in the game. A Tour Guide to Egypt also exists.
Anyone (even you) can edit any page on this site. However, you may want to look at the style guide and information on formatting first. If you want to contribute but don't know where, take a look at the "Spotlight" section below, or just browse around and look for pages where your input would be beneficial. This isn't the tech tree, however; please don't create a new topic for an item or building just because it's there.
Politics are not welcome -- if you want to discuss laws, please use the forums. (A compendium of existing laws, on the other hand, would be great to have.)
If you have a suggestion for how to improve the wiki, please add it to the suggestions page.
October 8-10, 2004 Official player meet in Pittsburgh.
News and Current Events
- As the sun sets on Tale 1, and rises on Tale 2, so to will a change come to the wiki. Starting with Tale 2, the wiki will be found at http://wiki.atitd.net/. The current wiki will be archived, and placed there in read-only form, at http://wiki.atitd.net/tale1. Old bookmarks to the tale 1 wiki will continue to work, and be redirected to the archive site, and http://atitd.centauri.org/ will redirect to http://wiki.atitd.net/. Many thanks to TheDude and Tchrin for the hosting and the easier-to-remember URL.
- There is now a TeamSpeak2 server for ATITD. If you have a microphone, you can chat at: teamspeak://racksrv.coded.com
- Resource map for Tale 1 in case you are interested. It is the one Teppy released at amnesty, but overlaid on actual map of Egypt. If someone knows of a better place to host this .jpg, feel free. For now it is on a limited bandwidth server at geocities : Tale 1 Mineral Map
Current Game Time:
- 2004-09-02 At 12:00 PM EDT Tale 1 and beta offically end. A pop up in game reads: "Game over. Insert coin to continue." Well done Egypt!
- 2004-09-01 The Stranger speaks for the final time - Endgame
- 2004-09-01 Headed by Hekatef, the Monument of Thought is erected. The monument has sealed a new challenge, The Test of the Pathmaker, for the next generation. This is the Seventh and final monument, thus Egypt has met the Stranger's challenge.
- Pharaoh: "We will leave this land to our children on Thursday, September 2, at 12:00 Noon EDT (GMT-0500). Our children will awaken on Friday, September 3, 2004, at 12:00 Noon EDT."
- The Algae Plague is rapidly advancing toward the mouth of the Nile.
- 2004-08-31 The Monument of Art and Music, headed by Sigil, was completed. The monument managed to complete itself while being short 100 bricks (and ahead of Sigil's planned schedule). It's magical.
- 2004-08-30 Amnesty brought back many old faces to Egypt, and a few new ones. Stories were shared, bonfires were lit, and a great time was had. Records of the System channel and ENN microphone can be found at www.atitd.info. (Someone wanting to make himself or herself useful could extract the highlights and incorporate them into The History of Egypt or Amnesty pages here on the Wiki.)
- 2004-08-30 The Monument of Conflict, headed by Ajars, was completed. The blinding electricity from the mad rush of supporters to the Monument Construction Site knocked them all back a mile or so from the Site, setting back its completion and knocking everyone in Egypt unconscious. Supporters and onlookers approached the Monument contstruction site more slowly after this setback, and the Monument was completed.
- 2004-08-30 The Monument of The Human Body, headed by Dragyn, is completed. The lightning storm hitting nearly 127 people at once as they passed another step in this Discipline knocked everyone in Egypt unconsious for a few minutes.
- 2004-08-29 Hekatef and Antichaos both advance to become Oracles of Thought. Hope rose again across Egypt that this Monument might be saved.
- 2004-08-28 Ygerna, Pharaoh's Oracle of Thought, succumbed to the effects of Speed of the Serpent. Egypt was left without an Oracle of Thought.
- 2004-8-15: Headed by Zisoni, the Monument of Worship is erected. The monument has sealed a new challenge, The Test of the Humble Priests, for the next generation.
- 2004-8-14: Headed by Safira, the Monument of Leadership is erected. The monument has sealed a new challenge, The Test of the Host, for the next generation.
- 2004-8-08: Headed by Rehpic, the Monument of Architecture is erected. The monument has sealed a new challenge, The Test of Life, for the next generation.
- 2004-8-01: The Stranger makes an announcement that he has found a cure for the Algae Plague, but will only reveal it if the citizens of Egypt erect all 7 monuments before the Algae reaches the mouth of the Nile.
Beta of Tale 2
- 2004-08-30 Output from mines was changed again.
- 2004-08-29 Output from mines was changed.
- 2004-8-20 - I have gone through and renamed a number of Beta pages, to keep them under the Beta/ hierarchy, and to correct the HardToReadCamelCaseLinks. Please keep all information pertaining to the beta under Beta (stuff under personal Users pages is fine, though). I know about the issue of attachments lists not showing on the renamed pages, and will look into correcting that in the next day or so. - MJR
The open beta has now closed. It uses the same client as Tale 1, and is available here.
Beta - Wiki pages about the Tale 2 beta. Keep all Beta related pages as a subpage of this page. Any beta page found outside this hierarchy will be renamed or deleted.
FAQ for new players in beta
This section lists pages that need your
input and review. If you stumble upon a page that could use a little care, feel free to add it to the list (don't forget to state why). New areas of the wiki can also be listed here. Don't forget to remove pages from the list once you feel they are sufficiently up-to-date.
There is a vast wealth of information in the pages of this wiki, and it increases every day. Use one of the search boxes to jump to the page or topic you're interested in, or pick one of these pages and start browsing.
- The History Of Egypt - A brief running history of Egypt
- Atlas - Locations of interest around Egypt
- Guides - How-tos and strategy guides
- Laws - Law library
- Tests - The Stranger's challenge
- Users - User pages
- Guilds - Guild locations
- Bugs - Known game bugs
- Index - Index of all top-level wiki pages
- Links - Other ATITD websites
- Wiki - About the wiki
- Misc - Miscellaneous stuff
- Fr - French Translation
- Endgame - Link to status of all final monuments